Thursday, December 5, 2013

Catching up - Wednesday

I have been too exhausted the last 2 nights to blog. SO abnormal that I would find the energy at 6:30am but here we are!

Wednesday:
Wednesday was pretty low-key. We had a leisurely breakfast and then went shopping at Trust-Mart (a Chinese version of Wal Mart) to get some gift to bring to James' orphanage on Thursday. Shopping over here is fun because everything is 100's and 1000's of RMB/yuan and it feels like you're spending fake money. I have no idea how much we actually spent - not enough, for those children who have NOTHING to their names. We were mostly constrained by the fact that we had to carry everything back to the hotel. But we were able to carry several bags of formula, packs of diapers, and loads of toys. 

When we got back we fed the boys some lunch in our room and then got James down for an early nap so he could be up in time to come to the police station with us at 2:50 to apply for his passport. He was NOT happy to have to take a nap. This time he cried until I came in and started rubbing his belly for a few moments and then he was out. 

Henry was feeling a little better but still not 100% so he watched a movie and then took a nap in Beverly's room. 

I hated to wake James up because he is just starting to catch up on some of the sleep he lost during this trauma, but we had to do it to meet everyone else in the lobby. The police station was actually really pretty. We couldn't take any photos, but it was VERY unlike a police station in the states. We waited in the lobby for a while and then went upstairs and waited. Finally we went to a little counter and signed some more papers and they took a very ill-timed picture of James. And then we were done and back to the hotel.

Beau and Beverly took the boys to the playground and I went down to Erika's room to chat for a while and see all of the things she's purchased to celebrate Lily every year until she's 18. So neat! I feel so far behind because we haven't had a chance to sightsee or shop at all yet! 

We all met for dinner and walked down to an Irish Pub for dinner. I don't think restaurants are particularly enjoying our party of 11. Again, James and Lily ate us under the table and James shocked me by drinking an entire glass of apple juice through a straw in one breath. He's not taking very well to his sippy cup. Sadly, I think orphans have no time to sip. James and Lily were hilarious together. She is SO expressive and NOT shy or timid. And she's not afraid to make a mess or let you know what she wants. James is very quiet and gentle so far. Every time Lily would knock over her cup or drop something on the floor. James would reach for me and point to whatever was amiss with a worried look on his face. I think he cannot stand disorder. SO different! And instead of just reaching or lunging for what he wants he has only now started pointing and is content to mimic a sign to show he wants to eat or drink more. My favorite moment of dinner, though, was when Lily grabbed onto James and called him Guo Guo, his name in the orphanage. Adorable! 

That night, James was not happy about going to sleep again. I was irritated because I just wanted to do my own thing by then. Why? What do I have to do that is more important? Isn't this why I'm here? This boy has probably never been rocked to sleep. He LOVED it. And what a sweet moment. He stared into my eyes until he couldn't keep his open any longer. I was SO convicted of my selfishness. We have a lot of lost time to make up for, and it simply won't happen without doing the work. And don't I want him to have as much of myself as I gave to Henry? Hold me to this, friends, when I just want to watch tv or read a book or talk to you instead of doing the work.

And, the pictures:












4 comments:

  1. So happy for y'all Amanda! I can not wait to meet James! He looks so sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a doll! One more week and you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing what you're already learning about his little personality! And I'm so glad you were able to bless the other kids in his orphanage. Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I have been so excited to read the blog and catch up with you all and little james! Yay! Can't wait to hear all about it from Beau when he gets back to work!

    ReplyDelete